Pompeii eruption remains discovered in ancient ruins

World

Archaeologists have discovered the remains of two men killed in the volcanic eruption that destroyed the ancient Roman city of Pompeii nearly 2,000 years ago.

The find was made in a dig carried out during the coronavirus pandemic, the Italian culture ministry said.

One victim was believed to be a man of high status, aged between 30 and 40, who still had traces of a woollen cloak under his neck.

Remains of two men who died in the volcanic eruption
Image:
One victim was believed to be a man of high status and the other a slave

The second, who was probably aged 18 to 23, was dressed in a tunic and had a number of crushed vertebrae, indicating he had been a slave who did heavy labour.

The remains were found in an underground chamber around 700m (2,297ft) northwest of the centre of ancient Pompeii, in the area of a large villa where some archaeological discoveries have already been made.

The men’s teeth and bones were preserved, and the voids left by their soft tissue were filled with plaster that was left to harden and then excavated to show the outline of their bodies.

Pompeii director Massimo Osanna said the two victims may have been seeking refuge when they were engulfed by deadly clouds of ash, rock, and toxic gas.

More from Italy

Remains of two men who died in the volcanic eruption that destroyed the ancient Roman city of Pompeii in 79 AD
Image:
The volcanic eruption destroyed the ancient Roman city of Pompeii in 79 AD

Pompeii, 14 miles (23 km) southeast of Naples, was home to about 13,000 people in AD 79 when nearby Mount Vesuvius erupted, burying the city and freezing it in time.

The ruins were not discovered until the 16th century and organised excavations began around 1750.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Amazon deforestation hits 12-year high under Bolsonaro
Frost, snow and hail as England’s lockdown ends and winter begins
SNP pledges free breakfast and lunch for primary school pupils all year round
Holland out of Dec. 5 UFC main event with virus
Dudley returning to Lakers for veteran minimum

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *